Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Keep Your Bites Small

I don't know if this is really a necessary post, but at least it's something new.  And, of course it mentions apples.  Sure it's in a rather odd and unpleasant way, but freedom of the press and all that ...

I'm not familiar with author James Nesbo (I don't know if anybody is -- I can barely find any mention of him online), but in this article discussing his new book he mentions how apples influenced part of the story:

The torture device, known as Leopold's Apple, is a figment of Nesbo’s imagination ... also based on a childhood summer holiday he and his brother spent at their grandmother’s.

He says: “She had a big garden with apple trees and we were not allowed to pick the apples, but she didn’t say anything about eating them.

"So we would climb the trees and eat the apples without picking them. One day my brother challenged me on who could take the widest bite out of the biggest apple. I put a big apple into my mouth without picking it and then I couldn’t get the apple out again.

“I started thinking, the apple is still growing. What would happen if I stayed here for three weeks? Would my head eventually explode?”

Luckily, we can pick apples without trouble from grandma or better yet just buy them in the store.  Although clearly we are all paying the price of not having the apple experiences to make us authors. Anyway, to be on the safe side, please be careful with your bites.

3 comments:

  1. I was eating my morning apple and was taking a big and laughing while reading this... close call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to wonder you couldn't google him - his name is Jo Nesbo, not James N. Guarantee you more success if you try it (and, personally, I recommend it).

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that makes more sense. Thanks, Knut.

    ReplyDelete