Friday, December 31, 2010

Apple Challenge Rules - To Rule or Not To Rule

When I think of an apple challenge I think of eating an actual apple.
Possible pulling it out of my pocket, or buying it from a produce stand
on the way to work. Sinking my teeth into the crisp and delicious fruit
of nature during a break. I think the majority of my consumption will
be like this. Yeah, I may cut some up and put into a salad, eat some
freshly made apple pie or incorporate some into baked pork chops. But I
will know exactly how much I'm eating cause I made it myself, it hasn't
been processed.

With bacon it was pretty easy, cause the consumer could visibly see how
many bacon strips they were consuming whether in a sandwich or wrapped
around a fried hot dog; it was pretty obvious. I don't think we had any
entrants binging on a cup of pureed bacon, in which case I think it may
have been applauded. But when it comes to apples, yes, drinking apple
cider or eating apple sauce is on the lame side and I will not entertain
this in my own right, but for others...well, I'm not a cop. In the
spirit of this challenge as in all challenges it's an honor system, if
people find a loop hole, so be it. They are only cheating themselves.
It's not a contest but a challenge to ourselves and with each other.
While there are people that will eat more than others, there's no prise
for this accomplishment...maybe bragging rights and a sense of
accomplishing something.

So I welcome rules and will probably agree with the more hard-line
approach, but will I enforce them? Can we enforce them? How would we?
Coming up with some basic rules may deter some lame butt-nuts and may
even strike a sense of moral responsibility in others.

Let there be rules...

7 comments:

  1. I'd say any apple in liquid form doesn't count. Applesauce... the average medium apple is 5.5 ounces according to this site:

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061104153010AAml5fF

    I'd lean toward not counting applesauce, but if it's allowed, I'd say make one 8 ounce serving equal one apple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like applesauce! I agree with the apple juice being voided out - but appplesauce? If apple pie counts - I vote applesauce be included. BTW - how many pieces of apple pie do you have to eat to consume 1 apple?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say no to applesauce (or apple pie, for that matter) unless you make it yourself and know exactly how many apples are in it. Otherwise, you're counting who-knows-how-much high-fructose corn syrup, ascorbic acid, and other preservatives and fillers.

    But... then again... I also failed the mile challenge, so perhaps you shouldn't listen to my rule interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking around online and this applesauce business is pretty sketchy. As Carly mentioned there is a lot of added funk. How much apple and how much filler you are actually getting is difficult to determine. That said, if we are going to allow pie, why not sauce? Maybe we should ban both. Or maybe they should only be allowed if certain criteria are met?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade only on any alternates (sauce, pie, etc.) to the standard apple. That way, like Carly mentioned, you can do exact measurements and know what is going into it. i.e. homemade applesauce only has sugar and apples so .5 c is one serving; if you make an apple pie with 5 apples and cut 6 pieces, you can assume you have consumed .83 of an apple.

    ReplyDelete